Yum Package Manager
Yum is an automatic updater and package installer/remover for rpm systems. It automatically computes dependencies and figures out what things should occur to install packages. It makes it easier to maintain groups of machines without having to manually update each one using rpm. Yum has a plugin interface for adding simple features. Yum can also be used from other python programs via its module inteface.
Get Yum (3.4.3, or older versions)
- The yum mailing list is available for help with setup and use problems.
- We keep the #yum irc channel on irc.freenode.org for real time help with problems. Please remember to be patient, we're not always watching irc.
- File a Ticket
If you're looking at being involved developing on or contributing to yum or any of the related tools.
- Testing latest versions:
- http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/james/yum-rawhide/ is a rebuild of the latest Fedora rawhide yum for older distros.
To pull anonymously from git do the following
git clone git://yum.baseurl.org/yum.git
git clone git://yum.baseurl.org/yum-utils.git
git clone git://yum.baseurl.org/yum-updatesd.git
git clone git://yum.baseurl.org/yum-docs.git
You can click the above git urls to look at a specific module, or use GitWeb to browse all git modules.
If you have commit access you should use ssh. You can access the git trees via:
git clone ssh://yum.baseurl.org/srv/projects/yum/git/$module_name.git
...however for pretty much everybody there is a very easy way to contribute:
- Register to the yum-devel mailing list.
- Install git-email package.
- git config sendemail.to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Create patches locally and then run "git send-email origin".
Use Transifex to submit translations to yum:Top translations: yum » 3-2-x-po-yum-pot
- The yum-devel mailing list is available for talking about development.
- #yum on irc.freenode.org is a good place for discussing development.
- To keep an eye on commits to yum and yum-utils please subscribe to the yum-commits mailing list
- Look at the Yum Future page for things we have planned.
- YumCodeSnippets - simple examples that can get you started.
- Yum Programming in 5 minutes - a tutorial to show you some of the innnerworkings of yum
- WritingYumPlugins - guide to writing yum plugins
For a complete list of local wiki pages, see TitleIndex.